September 19, 2010

This Week, September 19-25

And for this week in the family history-

September 21, 1860: Eustalia Shier nee ??? is born.
She is sooooo not related to me but is in my database as the wife of George Shier. George’s MOTHER is Mary Jane Wheeler-Shier who’s common ancestor to me is her parents; Calvin Wheeler and Elizabeth Carscallen. The family lived in Lennox and Addington County Ontario. This makes Mary Jane my “second great grand aunt”.

September 22, 1892: Willis Berkey is born in St. Joseph County, Indiana. Again another totally not related person in my database, however he is the husband of my great-grandmother’s sister...Nettie Alberta Carpenter. Willis and Nettie were married in Miles City, Montana in 1932 and have two know children; Donald Lee Berkey and Ruby Berkey. Nettie grew up in Parry Sound, Ontario with my great-grandmother Zilphie Elizabeth Carpenter-Wheeler. My Dad’s side.

September 23, 1853: James Allen McLean Wheeler is born in Sheffield Twp, Lennox and Addington County Ontario. His parents are John Edward Wheeler and Mary G. Berry. James married Emma G. Sommerville. Our common ancestors are Calvin Wheeler and Elizabeth Carscallen, making him my 1st cousin 3 times removed.....well at least he’s–RELATED!

September 25, 1880: William Raeburn Jr and Melissa Jane Lillie are married
in Blair Twp, Grand Traverse County Michigan by Melissa Jane’s uncle, George Youker-Justice of the Peace. Witnesses were Esther Lillie, Melissa Jane’s sister and John George Youker her uncle.
William was a resident of Glen Huron in Simcoe County, Ontario- Jane lived in Grand Traverse County Michigan.
I picture them meeting in Ontario on a visit, where her brothers John G. and Frank Lillie lived on the property next to William’s residence. Such a chance meeting for a lifetime of love. (He spoke lovingly of ‘Jane’ to my Aunt Barbara who recorded it in her memoirs of the family.) William and Melissa Jane raised their family in Glen Huron, until 1899 when they moved to Sault Saint Marie Michigan. They are my great-grandparents.

Also in history- September 19th: 1876 1st carpet sweeper patented (Melville Bissell of Grand Rapids, Michigan)
Hey-thats my neck of the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment