January 25, 2009

Are We Cousins?

Imagine a Raeburn family moving from Monaghan Ireland into Quebec , through Ontario into Sault Saint Marie, Michigan and at last settling into Grand Rapids, Kent County, Michigan. The Wm Raeburn family.

Now imagine another Reburn family moving from Monaghan Ireland to New York, USA, and later settling in Sparta, Kent County, Michigan. The Edward Reburn family.

We never met. My line is from Ontario...when my family moved to Grand Rapids my new friends asked me “Are you related to the Sparta Reyburns? “ NO, I said, besides they spell their name different. I was 14 years old. They were only 12 miles away. Some [untold] years later the ancestor hunt begins. I met Edward Reburn’s descendant Rick Reyburn through this hunt only to find out the Sparta Reyburns may indeed be related.

John Reburn b abt 1805 Corvacken, Monaghan, Ireland m Margaret Weir.
Edward Reburn b 1838 their son [8 total siblings]

William Raeburn b abt 1810 Monaghan, Ireland m Margaret McCormack
William Raeburn b 1853 their son [7 total siblings]


ARE THEY COUSINS?
Edward Reburn William Raeburn Jr


Thank you Rick Reyburn for Edward Reburn photo

2 comments:

  1. In an even stranger twist... I am now 15 miles west of Sparta. My HUSBANDS cousin, who grew up 30 miles west of Sparta, now lives on a section of Edward Reburn's land that was eventually sold into lots. She lives on Reyburn Street!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the posting! Reyburn's Rule!!!

    ReplyDelete